At Wold Newton, we believe that learning outdoors should be an integral part of every child's curriculum. Working with the local community, we have created some amazing outside areas that enhance our outdoor provision. We believe learning outside helps the children to embed the knowledge and skills they learn in the classroom. It also provides the children with opportunities to work together and apply their skills. Just some of the outdoor projects we have completed are listed below. For regular updates on the learning that takes place in our outdoor classroom (Fox's Den), please see our Twitter feed on the home page.
- Created a new 'free-flow' classroom area that means the EYFS children can take their learning outside whenever they choose.
- Created a quieter area next to the main playground that means children can play and socialise in a quieter space.
- We've renewed the outdoor play equipment. School council chose the equipment we have.
- We created an outdoor classroom and in remembrance of one of our school community, we have called it Fox's Den.
- Each class have a half term of weekly sessions where they take some of their classroom learning outside. For instance, in Spring, class 2 have been learning Art, PSHE, History and DT outside, mainly linked to their Egyptians topic.
- We have a very active gardening club that have created several new areas and structures for their projects.
Our parents are fantastic and we couldn't have done nearly as much without them. From making bird boxes with the children to shoveling wood chip, they've been simply amazing and we cannot thank them enough.