The Curriculum at Wold Newton Primary School. The Intent, implementation and impact of our curriculum-Design and technology
At Wold Newton we aim to provide an inspiring, rigorous and practical based curriculum ensuring all pupils have the opportunity to be creative, imaginative designers with the opportunity to design and make products that solve real life problems whilst considering their own and others’ needs wants and values. We believe that it is important for them to acquire a broad range of subject knowledge drawing on mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Children will also be taught how to cook and apply the principles of healthy eating and to understand where food comes from. We aim for all pupils to develop a resourceful, innovative and risk taking approach to learning.
Through the investigation and evaluation of past and present designs, we aim to develop a culture of learning through creativity whilst maintaining aspirational standards through:
- Planning based on research and investigation considering the needs and impact of their design.
- To create by using an increasing variety of skills and techniques.
- To evaluate and test their own and the work of others using appropriate vocabulary and communication skills.
- To make appropriate and necessary adjustments based upon evaluation.
- To work co-operatively whilst sensitively taking into account the skills, needs and opinions of other.
Children will be more innovative and confident in the processes of design and creation of products which meet identified needs. The application of these skills will enrich the learning across the whole curriculum. This will be evidenced through an improved quality of communication skills and an ability to express considered ideas and judgements appropriately to others.
Please see our Design and Technology projects in action across the school below:
Design and technology association:
National curriculum for D&T: