Wold Newton School recognises the value of Physical Education (P.E) in children’s lives and aims to develop pupils who can flourish in a range of different physical activities.
The aims of the PE Curriculum are to develop pupils who:
- Are willing to practice skills in a range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams; and to apply these skills in chosen activities to achieve a high level of performance
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time
- Lead a healthy lifestyle which is achieved by eating a sensible diet and exercising regularly
- Take the initiative and become excellent young leaders, organising and officiating, and evaluating what needs to be done to improve, and motivate others
- Think imaginatively and creatively when working on techniques, tactics and choreography
- Can swim at least 25 metres before the end of year 6 and know how to remain safe in and around water.
PE is taught at Wold Newton School as an area of learning in its own right as well as integrated where possible with other curriculum areas. It is taught twice weekly in all key stages. Teachers, HLTAs and Sports Coaches use a variety of schemes to plan for progression and depth. We teach lessons so pupils:
- Have fun and experience success in sport
- Have the opportunity to participate in PE at their own level of development
- Secure and build on a range of skills
- Develop good sporting attitudes
- Understand basic rules
- Experience positive competitions
- Learn in a safe environment
We follow the National Curriculum scheme of study however we also recognise that quality PE can develop ‘Character’, self-esteem and enriched social development. Consequently, we seek to excel in sport and ensure that all pupils have access to an ambitious curriculum of PE both in and out of the school day. We provide opportunities for pupils to apply their learning in an open manner, working with experts from a range of sporting fields who demonstrate good practice and a committed work ethic to learning.
Our curriculum aims to improve the well-being and fitness of all the children at Wold Newton, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the values and disciplines that PE promotes. Within lessons, children are taught about self-discipline and that to be successful they need to take ownership and responsibility of their own health and fitness. We therefore motivate children to utilise these underpinning skills in an independent and effective way in order to live happy and healthy lives. We excel in PE as a school and have recently achieved the Platinum Sports Mark that recognises our our success and inclusive nature of sport at Wold Newton. We regularly take part in, and win, local sporting fixtures. We hold our own in competitions and have an excellent uptake from our pupils for extra-curricular sporting activities.