Welcome to Class One 2023/24
Teacher: Miss Scatcherd
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Simmons
Pupil Support: Mrs May
In Class One our year one and year two children work together to learn and develop their knowledge and skills in a friendly and creative environment in which we celebrate the uniqueness of each child.
We follow the Jolly Phonics programme which is supported with reading books which the children take home. The children will be completing lots of practical maths, reading, writing, role play and creative activities (using a multi sensory approach). Where possible, these will be linked to the topic.
The children participate in differentiated phonics and guided reading groups and receive individual support as needed. They also have a spelling check every week and will begin to have times tables checks as the year goes on. Continuous provision is in place to promote creative learning and to allow the children to apply their knowledge and skills. We also have a wonderful outdoor area which is used daily to support the teaching of maths and English.
Children have a Jolly Phonics reading book to take home, which we politely request is read as much as possible.
Please see our planning, updates and photos (below).
This half term we will be continuing with our topic of 'It's a small world' but will however be looking at the following;
- Art - Mask making. We have the Stephen Joseph Theatre coming into school to design and create masks with us on Thursday 29th February.
- English- Diary writing.
- Maths - Fractions and time
- Science - Animals including humans.
Important information for this half term...
- Mrs Simmons will take the class on Monday afternoons.
- We will have outdoor learning on Wednesday afternoons so please ensure children come to school with warm waterproof clothing.
- PE will be on a Friday afternoon.
Any questions please contact me through the school office.
Please see our medium term planning for Spring below.
Please see our class updates below.
Stephen Joseph Theatre - Mask making workshop 29/2/24
Snowdrop walk 7/2/24
We have been around the village to look at snowdrops, during our walk we spent time making observational drawings and looking closely at the different stages of growth. The children produced some fantastic drawings which we have displayed on our walls in the classroom!
Stay and read 2/2/24
Thank you to all parents and carers who came to our stay and read session. It was a great success and the children really enjoyed having you in class.
So far this term we have:
- Observed seasonal change around the school grounds
- Practised and revised our knowledge on fractions
- Looked at shapes in the outdoors (linking with maths)
- Picked leeks and onions out of the school garden and planted new ones.
- Tidied up our outdoor area from leaves and made leaf bouquets.
- Made bug hotels out of tyres and straw.
Design and Technology
We have so far completed two design and technology projects in class.
We have looked at redesigning an outdoor area for our school in which we created diorama models to show our ideas. The children have planned and redesigned a new 'Foxes den'. Children have drawn birds eye plans, looked in catalogues and looked at other schools outdoor learning facilities so we could see what to include. We then made our own diorama models.
We have also created spring rolls to celebrate Chinese New Year. Children spent time learning skills such as chopping, grating and peeling. We carried out the full design cycle to create our spring rolls.